Login
 
Page 270 of 273 
 
 06-13-2018 04:03 AM
GSMinCT 
 
Originally posted by comintel:
Some of it may be the phone.
I never found Motos had good performamce on Sprint and they seem to do erratic and inconsistent band switching, dwelling on the the wrong band too long.
Maybe they will tune it in later OTA updates.
I think you would so better with an S8 or S9.
On the Moto phone you may hopefully get VoLTE later this year (S8 and S9 both have beta LTE Calling).

You did the ID thing wrong with the store. I will blame Sprint for the communications failure but it was done wrong. You should get a reference number from the credit department for your pending application and take that to the store and have the store reference that in verifying your account. Then it goes through smootly. A zillion people do it and for some it does get messed up and for others it works fine.
Also go only to a corporate-owned store for something like this because the store is not being paid for it and the dealer stores could not care less.


Maybe because the phone is brand new, it's behaving oddly? They need a functioning LTE network before they do VoLTE. Right now it often drops to 3G, which would drop the call.

I did go to a corporate store (I think- phone said it was corporate). There are also no Sprint stores in my area, as it is an exurban, high income area, so it's basically like 50% Verizon and 40% AT&T or something like that. Maybe 60/30. Less than 10% prepaid/T-Mobile/Sprint. So I had to drive about 25 minutes to get to one, passing several AT&T stores on the way.

The band switching should be network managed, right? It seems Sprint isn't as aggressive as AT&T in high-frequency parking. AT&T is surprisingly aggressive. They will hold on to B30 until it's very weak, and in rural Northern Michigan, where towers are spaced for 850, they often will hold you on B2 all the time, as they don't want to clog up B5. That being said, LTE pretty much works great until it doesn't, so the performance is fine doing this, you just don't often have a lot of bars.
 
 06-13-2018 04:36 AM
comintel
 
Originally posted by GSMinCT:
Maybe because the phone is brand new, it's behaving oddly? They need a functioning LTE network before they do VoLTE. Right now it often drops to 3G, which would drop the call.

I did go to a corporate store (I think- phone said it was corporate). There are also no Sprint stores in my area, as it is an exurban, high income area, so it's basically like 50% Verizon and 40% AT&T or something like that. Maybe 60/30. Less than 10% prepaid/T-Mobile/Sprint. So I had to drive about 25 minutes to get to one, passing several AT&T stores on the way.

The band switching should be network managed, right? It seems Sprint isn't as aggressive as AT&T in high-frequency parking. AT&T is surprisingly aggressive. They will hold on to B30 until it's very weak, and in rural Northern Michigan, where towers are spaced for 850, they often will hold you on B2 all the time, as they don't want to clog up B5. That being said, LTE pretty much works great until it doesn't, so the performance is fine doing this, you just don't often have a lot of bars.


Yeah I predict that phone will work better as they tune it.

It is basically network managed but not entirely I think - it seems there is still a lot of art to it.
Probably phones have inputs into it too.

People on S4gru talk about how different phones improve and disimprove at various software release levels so it cannot be just the network. It could also be power levels and bugs and a lot of other things.

Moto G6 is supposed to have HPUE . Maybe they have not got that working fully yet. Sometimes they use reduced power levels at first out of conservatism.

Naybe some phones give back more detailed performance reporting for the network to go on.

I see different band behavior among different phones.

My S8 will quickly drop to band 26 when band 41 gets hung (tower issues locally) but other phones will wait too long.

Also certain phones will operate at much lower signal levels due to internal noise considerations.

It can be a world of difference between my S8 and cheaper phones.
 
 06-13-2018 02:49 PM
GSMinCT 
 
Originally posted by comintel:
Yeah I predict that phone will work better as they tune it.

It is basically network managed but not entirely I think - it seems there is still a lot of art to it.
Probably phones have inputs into it too.

People on S4gru talk about how different phones improve and disimprove at various software release levels so it cannot be just the network. It could also be power levels and bugs and a lot of other things.

Moto G6 is supposed to have HPUE . Maybe they have not got that working fully yet. Sometimes they use reduced power levels at first out of conservatism.

Naybe some phones give back more detailed performance reporting for the network to go on.

I see different band behavior among different phones.

My S8 will quickly drop to band 26 when band 41 gets hung (tower issues locally) but other phones will wait too long.

Also certain phones will operate at much lower signal levels due to internal noise considerations.

It can be a world of difference between my S8 and cheaper phones.


I hope that they improve it, as it's pretty terrible right now on LTE. That being said, the phone itself has plenty of RF sensitivity, I used it for a call from my house on CDMA, and it was solid upstairs. AT&T TDMA used to work in one seat, GSM barely worked by the window, UMTS sort of works in a few places, and LTE will hold on in parts of the house, so being able to use CDMA in the house reliably is a good sign. T-Mobile was flaky at best, often having no service at all. For sake of comparison, on our local tower, Verizon is at 170', Nextel was at 160', Sprint is at 150', SNET (SBC, Cingular, AT&T) was at 140', VoiceStream was at 130'. I don't know if Sprint is using 160', 150', or both today, but it seems to work. My guess is the height on VoiceStream's lower height is hurting T-Mobile. Weirdly, Verizon doesn't work very well, even though they have CDMA and their antennas are up high.

My S7 is tenacious, and the S9 beats it by 3dBm, which is nothing short of astounding.

The most fair comparison would be S9 vs. S9 but I don't have that kind of dough to blow.
 
 06-13-2018 03:45 PM
jbeary
 
Originally posted by comintel:
Some of it may be the phone.
I never found Motos had good performamce on Sprint and they seem to do erratic and inconsistent band switching, dwelling on the the wrong band too long...


I think a lot depends on where you are as well. I use a Moto E4 on Sprint in NYC and it works great.
 
 06-13-2018 07:31 PM
Parker5011
 
Originally posted by QkTreasures:
Check out www.mintmobile.com formerly mint Sim. Also check out www.bestmvno.com four other comparison reviews. I've been using that website for quite a few years now and the owner does a really good job of updating it and comparing prepaid and postpaid accounts along with pay as you go.

You could also just get a couple free Sims from Google fi just to try out and test the service. Amazon also sells mint Mobile SIM cards too. I think Best Buy sells them also along with TPO Wireless & H2O Wireless. TIA Ron

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app


How do you get google fi sims?


Sent from the X
 
 06-13-2018 09:00 PM
comintel
 
Originally posted by jbeary:
I think a lot depends on where you are as well. I use a Moto E4 on Sprint in NYC and it works great.


Even in weak signal areas?
 
«Previous | Next»
 
Share
TwitterFacebookMySpacedeliciousGoogleDiggreddit

Powered by:
WiForums
version 4.1.9F
WiForums.net


Copyright 2011, Thaddeus Clarke Jr.