Login
 
Page 2 of 3 
 
 05-16-2018 06:21 PM
schippma
 
Originally posted by XARLON:
This part might not be a good idea. Seems like they could eventually find a way to block voip if they don't already have one.


Actually, T-Mobile sells plans just for the Hearing Impaired for the same cost as their MI lines. I believe T-Mobile, at some point, tried to simplify some of their plans. A MI plan is no different than a "Hearing Impaired" plan, especially since they are the exact same cost.

I think the best bet would be to call T-Mobile and tell them data is being blocked on your Mobile Internet device. To be safe, give them a MI IMEI number or an unrecognized IMEI number in T-Mobile's system. Tell the Technical Support rep you like to swap your MI SIM to various tablets and hotspots, but many times in doing so it blocks data until you call into care. Tell the rep you know T-Mobile sells "Hearing Impaired" plans for the same cost as your MI plan, so why are these crazy restrictions in place.

One of my MI lines was blocked in a smartphone a few months ago. I then moved the SIM back into my hotspot and still had no data. I called T-Mobile Technical Support and the rep said data was blocked because it was in a phone, so at that time, I told him the IMEI of my hotspot and I told him I liked to swap the SIM between various devices. He said I should not have this problem again, not thinking at that time he may have added something to that line to allow for data use on any capable device.

Fast forward to now, I have been using that SIM in various devices as a test, including T-Mobile branded Smartphones, and data and text work flawlessly. The online account still shows that line as using an "Unknown" device, even though it has been a few weeks of being in various T-Mobile branded devices.

As always, YMMV, but I do believe that Technical Support rep knew what I was doing and removed any restrictions for my MI lines to be used on voice capable devices. My plans were not changed and they still say "MI" in the plan description.
 
 05-16-2018 08:07 PM
 hman414
 
Originally posted by schippma:
Just wanted to let the forum know that T-Mobile no longer blocks data and messaging services on their Mobile Internet plans if those SIM cards are used in a T-Mobile branded smartphone.

I currently have 5 MI lines on my account. I have tried using a MI SIM in a T-Mobile branded smartphone in the past and it would block all data services and text messaging services. However, I have been using MI SIMs in a couple of different T-Mobile branded Smartphones for the past week, and data and messaging services work perfectly. The Mobile Hotspot feature also works flawlessly. If I try to make a call, the system tells me I need to contact customer care as calling features have been disabled.

You can activate up to 5 MI lines on an account, and you can activate the Simple Choice North America 2GB MI plans, still today, for only $10 per month per line. You can then use Google Hangouts or TextNow to send and receive unlimited calls and texts using just data, and the throttled speeds are plenty fast enough for calling and texting. And this plan includes all the benefits of Simple Choice (Music Freedom, Binge On, etc).


I'm just wondering if this is really a T-Mobile "policy change" or just a glitch in their system...

I have had my MI plan for about 4 years now and used it quite a bit when I was working in Canada (before ATT had included Canada roaming). Best Buy used to sell MetroPCS phones which were regularly on sale, and I purchased a couple Samsung Galaxy Avants and got them unlocked with $3 codes from ebay.

The MetroPCS phone worked great with the T-Mobile MI SIM and then one day it just stopped working and never worked again, so in that case it appears T-Mobile "fixed the glitch" and closed that loophole.

Just wondering what the real story is here....

This plan is great for overseas travel when you don't have T-Mobile as your main wireless provider (like me on ATT). It works fine on my Express 3, having it work on a newer T-Mobile handset would be a bonus...

Hman
 
 05-16-2018 11:00 PM
schippma
 
Originally posted by hman414:
I'm just wondering if this is really a T-Mobile "policy change" or just a glitch in their system...

I have had my MI plan for about 4 years now and used it quite a bit when I was working in Canada (before ATT had included Canada roaming). Best Buy used to sell MetroPCS phones which were regularly on sale, and I purchased a couple Samsung Galaxy Avants and got them unlocked with $3 codes from ebay.

The MetroPCS phone worked great with the T-Mobile MI SIM and then one day it just stopped working and never worked again, so in that case it appears T-Mobile "fixed the glitch" and closed that loophole.

Just wondering what the real story is here....

This plan is great for overseas travel when you don't have T-Mobile as your main wireless provider (like me on ATT). It works fine on my Express 3, having it work on a newer T-Mobile handset would be a bonus...

Hman


I really do think if you call T-Mobile and talk with Technical Support and follow the steps outlined above, you would be able to use any phone on T-Mobile with your MI plan.

If you decide to try, please let us know how it goes.
 
 05-17-2018 04:46 AM
schippma
 
Update :

On all 5 MI lines, they are now displaying the actual devices being used on each MI line on the online account, after 2 weeks of displaying "Unknown." 3 lines are using LG Aristo devices, 2 lines LG K30, and 1 line LG V30.

Data and messaging services are still working flawlessly. If I try to make a call, it just states the service has been disabled and to contact customer service.
 
 05-19-2018 07:31 PM
 hman414
 
Originally posted by schippma:
I really do think if you call T-Mobile and talk with Technical Support and follow the steps outlined above, you would be able to use any phone on T-Mobile with your MI plan.

If you decide to try, please let us know how it goes.


I called customer service and changed to the 2GB/month plan for the same price, $10/month.

I then had customer service transfer me to tech support.

I told the tech support rep when I switch the SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy tablet to a "generic" tablet, the data does not work.

Gave the rep an IMEI number from an old Doro flip phone and had the rep "refresh" the account.

Put the SIM in my T-Mobile branded Galaxy S6 and everything now works perfectly! (SMS, MMS, browser/app data, mobile hotspot).

So I'm not sure if updating my account to 2GB/month or what tech support did got it working, but it's working and I'm happy!

Now I can get a T-Mobile band 71 phone and be able to use it.

Next thing to fix is US Cellular roaming. Up to this point I have not been able to roam on US Cellular with this plan, only iWireless and Bug Tussle wireless in the USA. Maybe this plan update/refresh will allow for US Cellular roaming. I will try next week...

Thanks for this great tip, this makes the MI plan much more useful/flexible...


Hman
 
 05-19-2018 10:20 PM
schippma
 
Originally posted by hman414:
I called customer service and changed to the 2GB/month plan for the same price, $10/month.

I then had customer service transfer me to tech support.

I told the tech support rep when I switch the SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy tablet to a "generic" tablet, the data does not work.

Gave the rep an IMEI number from an old Doro flip phone and had the rep "refresh" the account.

Put the SIM in my T-Mobile branded Galaxy S6 and everything now works perfectly! (SMS, MMS, browser/app data, mobile hotspot).

So I'm not sure if updating my account to 2GB/month or what tech support did got it working, but it's working and I'm happy!

Now I can get a T-Mobile band 71 phone and be able to use it.

Next thing to fix is US Cellular roaming. Up to this point I have not been able to roam on US Cellular with this plan, only iWireless and Bug Tussle wireless in the USA. Maybe this plan update/refresh will allow for US Cellular roaming. I will try next week...

Thanks for this great tip, this makes the MI plan much more useful/flexible...


Hman


I'm glad it worked for you! All 5 of my MI lines work flawlessly now on any device! And you're right, it really does make the MI lines more flexible/useful.
 
«Previous | Next»
 
Share
TwitterFacebookMySpacedeliciousGoogleDiggreddit

Powered by:
WiForums
version 4.1.9F
WiForums.net


Copyright 2011, Thaddeus Clarke Jr.