Login
 
Page 2 of 10 
 
 03-13-2018 08:37 PM
october262
 
Originally posted by Brobot:
All I can figure is the modem might be freaking out trying to find a WCDMA fallback that isn't there. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
did your iphone receive any carrier / phone updates ?? i heard of updates sometimes draining the battery more quickly.
 
 03-13-2018 09:06 PM
 Oopsz
 
I was driving through a fringe area with my wife yesterday while she was on the phone, on a VOLTE call. My phone (iphone X) was switching between LTE and 1X the whole way, but her phone (iphone 7 plus) held onto the VOLTE call -- she said it was fine the whole way, with no dropouts or static.

I think Verizon is programming their phones to jump to a stronger 1x/EV signal more quickly at idle, but when active on the network the modem is holding on for dear life. And similarly, I think a phone without CDMA are set to hold onto a marginal LTE signal longer than a phone that has 1x/EV capability.

If you open the non-CDMA device map and hit "Legend", there are areas of the map shaded for "Extended 3G Voice and Data". I wonder if that means HSPA roaming? That includes service in the area of east texas between Nacogdoches and Louisiana that has no coverage/no service on the regular 4G LTE map. Comparing the maps for "San Augustine, TX" shows a marked difference in coverage.
 
 03-13-2018 09:16 PM
 Oopsz
 
Looks like Verizon roams on HSPA in certain areas when you're using non-CDMA devices. In San Augustine (my prior example) it might be AT&T or Cellular One/MTPCS. Someone would have to go there and check the MNC.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1899243-Verizon-coverage-map-shows-AT-amp-T-roaming
 
 03-13-2018 09:48 PM
 Brobot
 
Originally posted by Oopsz:
I was driving through a fringe area with my wife yesterday while she was on the phone, on a VOLTE call. My phone (iphone X) was switching between LTE and 1X the whole way, but her phone (iphone 7 plus) held onto the VOLTE call -- she said it was fine the whole way, with no dropouts or static.

I have noticed this type of behavior since my original iPhone 6. I could start a call where there was LTE then hold onto LTE as long as the call lasted in areas with far too weak of a signal to hold on to even 1x otherwise.

Originally posted by Oopsz:
I think Verizon is programming their phones to jump to a stronger 1x/EV signal more quickly at idle, but when active on the network the modem is holding on for dear life. And similarly, I think a phone without CDMA are set to hold onto a marginal LTE signal longer than a phone that has 1x/EV capability.


This sounds likely. I'm thinking the reason they do this is because they can't fall back to WCDMA like AT&T or T-Mobile can.

I'm glad they're doing it. I think it's a better solution than using a WCDMA fall back myself. Where AT&T would have dropped the call in this rural area my Verizon VoLTE held on (they're both located on the same cell site too).

Originally posted by Oopsz:
If you open the non-CDMA device map and hit "Legend", there are areas of the map shaded for "Extended 3G Voice and Data". I wonder if that means HSPA roaming? That includes service in the area of east texas between Nacogdoches and Louisiana that has no coverage/no service on the regular 4G LTE map. Comparing the maps for "San Augustine, TX" shows a marked difference in coverage.


That's what I'm thinking. Extended 3G could only be two things on these devices, WCDMA/HSPA or throttled LTE. If that's what's going on I'm actually better off coverage wise without CDMA. My phone holds on to LTE where I would otherwise drop to 1x and it appears that I get access to better roaming where VZ and it's LTE partners lack native coverage.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
 03-13-2018 10:03 PM
 Brobot
 
Originally posted by october262:
did your iphone receive any carrier / phone updates ?? i heard of updates sometimes draining the battery more quickly.


My phone shows Verizon 31.1 carrier version

Click to view image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
 03-14-2018 02:38 AM
 Wide_opeN
 
It all sounds plausible, as 1. this area is designed specifically for LTE Only devices like flip phones of which voice is the priority 2. With said, they assume a lot of data wouldn't be used in these areas.

So you could've stumbled upon something here.
 
«Previous | Next»
 
Share
TwitterFacebookMySpacedeliciousGoogleDiggreddit

Powered by:
WiForums
version 4.1.9F
WiForums.net


Copyright 2011, Thaddeus Clarke Jr.